History of Mitomycin-C

Mitomycins are a series of antineoplastic antibiotics produced from the culture filtrate of Streptomyces caespitosus first discovered by Hata et al. at the Kitasato Institute in Japan in 1955. Mitomycin-C, which is highly stable and has the most potent antineoplastic activity of all mitomycins, was separated by Wakaki et al. at Kyowa Kogyo (now Kyowa Kirin) in the form of purple crystals.

Mitomycin-C has been shown to have significant antineoplastic activity in many experimental tumour lines. Clinical studies have also demonstrated that it is effective against a variety of malignant tumours, with a broad antineoplastic spectrum.

In Japan, the evaluation of its clinical efficacy started in 1957, which has shown that Mitomycin-C is beneficial in the treatment of many types of solid tumors and hematologic malignancies. Based on the clinical evidence, it was approved in 1963 in Japan. And later, it was approved around the world in more than 80 countries.